The Kentucky High School Athletic Association has issued a backup schedule for the state football finals in case the Western Kentucky University football squad qualifies to host the Conference USA championship game on Dec. 5.
Currently scheduled for Friday, Dec. 4, and Saturday, Dec. 5, the KHSAA finals would be played on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday of that weekend if the Hilltoppers win the CUSA East Division and host the league championship game.
“We have met with WKU on multiple occasions these past three years reviewing scheduling alternatives in the event of WKU hosting this great event,” KHSAA commissioner Julian Tackett said. “Should Coach (Jeff) Brohm and his Hilltoppers earn the right to host the conference championship game, all involved entities … are prepared to make our championship the best experience for the student-athletes and, simultaneously, give the Toppers their venue for this super opportunity.”
If WKU hosts the CUSA final on the early afternoon of Dec. 5, here is the proposed schedule for the KHSAA finals (all times Eastern):
* Thursday, Dec. 3 – Class A, 8 p.m.
* Saturday, Dec. 5 – Class 6-A, 6 p.m.; Class 5-A, 9 p.m.
* Sunday, Dec. 6 – Class 2-A, 2 p.m.; Class 3-A, 5 p.m.; Class 4-A, 8 p.m.
If WKU does not host the CUSA final, the current schedule for the KHSAA finals would not change:
* Friday, Dec. 4 – Class A, noon; Class 2-A, 3:30 p.m.; Class 6-A, 7 p.m.
* Saturday, Dec. 5 – Class 3-A, noon; Class 4-A, 3:30 p.m.; Class 5-A, 7 p.m.