• Prepare the olive oil in a large skillet, placing it over medium heat.
• Add garlic and cook for about one to two minutes, stirring frequently until it becomes fragrant.
• Stir in chicken broth, milk, butter and pasta into the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
• Bring the mixture to a boil, reducing the heat. Simmer and keep stirring occasionally, until pasta is cooked through. This should take about 18 to 20 minutes.
• Pour in the parmesan. If the mixture becomes too thick, add milk until the desired consistency is reached.
• Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Parmesan cheese sauce
Got some cheese left over? Worry not! Try our recipe for some deliciously versatile cheese sauce that tastes great over steamed vegetables, pasta and French fries.
• Butter 1 and 1/2 tbsp
• Flour 2 tbsp
• Low-fat milk 1 cup
• Parmesan cheese (shredded) 1/2 cup
• Salt 1/4 tsp
• Pepper 1/4 tsp
• Paprika 1 pinch
Melt the butter in a medium-sized skillet, placing the pot over medium heat.
Sprinkle the flour into the melted butter, whisking throughout. Cook the two ingredients for about a minute, whisking until the mixture becomes golden and lumpy.
Gradually stir in the low-fat milk and bring it to a boil. Continue whisking for about one to two minutes, until the liquid thickens.
Add shredded Parmesan cheese to the skillet along with salt, pepper and paprika. Whisk the mixture until it runs smooth.
Remove from heat and use the sauce immediately.
Note: If you wish for a bit of spice, whisk in one tablespoon of hot sauce into the mixture.
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, October 25th, 2015.