Such schemes only help those who have looted the country and the government should not declare any amnesty scheme
KARACHI: There are reports that the government is considering an amnesty scheme for non-filers and tax evaders. Many such amnesty schemes were launched in the past and unscrupulous elements took full advantage to whiten black money. The fact is, such schemes only help those who have looted the country and the government should not declare any amnesty scheme now, or ever. It is well-known that among the non-filers there are smugglers, black marketeers, hoarders and others who habitually evade taxes by staying out of the tax net. Their illicit activities result in rampant inflation, exponential increase in property prices and weakening of the state. If the country is to survive and progress, the government should take the following steps:
1) Provide a deadline for all non-filers to get registered by. They should be made to pay at the full tax rate the entire amount they have evaded over the past 10 years.
2) Arrest all those non-filers who resist, and those who give calls for strikes should be tried in a court of law.
3) Seize the assets of all non-filers and ask utility companies to stop supplying electricity, water and gas to them.
4) All immoveable and other properties of non-filers should be auctioned immediately and the proceeds be distributed among those honest citizens who have been paying taxes regularly.
5) The names of all non-filers should be published in newspapers and they should not be allowed to leave the country.
All taxpayers should unite and urge the government not to declare another amnesty scheme and instead deal firmly with anti-Pakistan people like non-filers and tax evaders.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 23rd, 2015.
Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd on Twitter to receive all updates on all our daily pieces.