The affected bogie was parked near the railway crossing and was originally next to the train’s engine
A fire broke out in the luggage compartment of the Khushhal Khan Khattak Express train on Friday morning at the Shahnawaz Bhutto Railway station.
The train had arrived at the railway station from Karachi at 7:50am and caught fire. Passengers and railway station staff quickly shifted luggage from the affected bogie to the platform. The affected bogie was parked near the railway crossing and was originally next to the train’s engine.
Passengers informed the Naundero municipality fire brigade, which brought the situation under control. However, furniture, bags with green chilies and other material worth Rs100,000 was completely burnt.
Read: Huge Loss: Godown catches fire in Korangi
A passenger, Abdul Rahman, told the media that smoke was coming out of the compartment before the train arrived at the station, but no one paid attention to it until it reached the station, where it worsened. Station master Abdul Jabbar Memon said that he was unaware of the cause of the fire. He said the burnt material had been removed from the compartment and kept on the platform.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 17th, 2015.