A day after USC coach Steve Sarkisian was fired, five-star All-American linebacker Mique Juarez has decommitted.
Juarez, from North High in Torrance, Calif., told Rivals.com that he left voicemails and text messages for the coaches to alert them of his change of heart.
“I called and left voicemails to the coaches and texted them on Twitter,” Juarez told Rivals.com. “My family and I thought it was the best to leave, to open my recruitment.”
RELATED: What does Sarkisian situation mean for recruiting
UCLA, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Nebraska and Oklahoma are among the schools that have been mentioned in connection with Juarez, ranked fifth overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals. He was still working on his schedule but confirmed to USA TODAY High School Sports that UCLA and Ohio State will be among his visits.
Juarez was considered a soft commit for the Trojans and he previously said his plan was to make a final decision at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 9 in San Antonio.
His de-commitment follows that of Michigan linebacker Daelin Hayes, the other five-star member of the Class of 2016. Hayes announced Sunday that he was reopening his recruitment after USC announced that Sarkisian was told to take an indefinite leave of absence. Hayes was viewed as wavering even before the Sarkisian situation unfolded and he has an official visit planned to Notre Dame this weekend. USC and Notre Dame are playing in South Bend.
RELATED: Top tight end won’t visit USC, switches schedule
While no other prospects have come out and formally de-committed, some of the top players in a class that was ranked in the top 10 in the nation are considering visits.