A look at the top high school football teams in Middle Tennessee, as ranked by The Tennessean, through Week 8 regular season:
10. Franklin Road Academy (8-0) — Senior quarterback Spence Jones tallied 183 total yards and a pair of touchdowns Friday against Lipscomb as Panthers reeled off 24 unanswered second-half points to claim their eighth win of the season. Last week: No. 10. This week: Friday at Davidson Academy (6-1).
9. Hendersonville (7-1) — The Commandos captured their third consecutive double-digit win Friday, blasting rival Gallatin 42-14 behind Jack Towe’s three-touchdown effort, which included a 66-yard, first-quarter kickoff return for a score. Last week: No. 9. This week: Friday at Glencliff (2-5).
8. CPA (6-1) — Lions quarterback Zack Weatherly accounted for 187 total yards, a four-yard rushing score and a 28-yard touchdown pass to Joseph Richard in Friday’s 35-6 win over East Nashville. Last week: No. 8. This week: Friday at Greenbrier (4-4).
7. Ravenwood (6-1) — The Raptors encountered little resistance from two-win Lebanon on Friday, rolling to a 45-point rout of the Blue Devils to claim their third consecutive Region 3-6A victory. Last week: No. 7. This week: Thursday vs. Overton (4-3).
6. Centennial (7-1) — Junior Mondu Sawyers eclipsed the 100-yard mark for the fourth straight week, and the Cougars defense limited Brentwood to just 13 yards rushing in Friday’s 24-10 triumph — the team’s sixth in a row. Last week: No. 6. This week: Bye.
5. Blackman (5-2) — Senior running back Taeler Dowdy has rushed for 461 yards and six touchdowns in the last two games for the Blaze, who enjoyed a Week 8 bye. Last week: No. 5. This week: Friday at Siegel (0-7).
4. Independence (7-0) — Andrew Bunch finally returned from his Week 2 elbow injury Friday, firing 21 completions for 252 yards and three touchdowns in a 46-15 win over Region 5-5A foe Shelbyville. Last week: No. 4. This week: Friday at Columbia (3-4).
3. MBA (7-1) — Junior standout Ty Chandler got his yards — 189 to be exact — but the Big Red endured struggles on both sides of the ball in Friday’s 48-14 defeat at Brentwood Academy. Last week: No. 1. This week: Friday at Baylor (6-1).
2. Oakland (6-1) — The Patriots amassed five rushing touchdowns and nearly 300 yards on the ground Friday, and they surrendered a total of just 64 in their 49-6 thumping of Class 4A Brownsville. Last week: No. 3. This week: Friday vs. Riverdale (5-2).
1. Brentwood Academy (6-1) — The Jeremiah Oatsvall-led Eagles delivered a big statement Friday at Carlton Flatt Field, piling up 48 points, 25 first downs and more than 550 yards in a decisive 34-point win over MBA. Last week: No. 2. This week: Friday at Father Ryan (4-3).