High school girls’ golf teams had the honor Wednesday of competing in the first Michigan High School Athletic Association state tournament of the 2015-16 school year.
At the Division 2 regional hosted by Sturgis at Island Hills Golf Club were Lakeview and Gull Lake. The Blue Devils tied for third place with a 377, but lost to Portage Northern on a fifth-score tiebreaker. Leading Gull Lake was individual state qualifier Jenna Vandenberg (80), followed by Riley Martell (95), Taylor Ramage (100) and Sophia Udell (102). Lakeview shot a 390 for sixth place, led by Maddie Yorke (95), McKenna Evans (96), Haley Lesiow (97) and Samantha Grise (102).
Harper Creek, Coldwater and Marshall competed at the Division 3 regional hosted by Lake Odessa Lakewood at Centennial Acres Golf Course. The Cardinals advanced to the Division 3 state finals Oct. 16-17 at Michigan State University’s Forest Akers West thanks to a third-place finish. Coldwater shot a 392, led by Haley Linton (94), Madison Donbrock (98), Jayla Goodwin (103) and Gabriel Boston and Claire Sheppard (100s).
Harper Creek placed fifth with a 401, but Sydney Leatherman (92) and Jacqueline Greene (93) qualified for state as individuals. Also scoring for the Beavers in the regional were Emily Vahs (106) and Macy Hancock (110).
Marshall placed 10th with a 451, led by Jill Konkle (105), Loren Bates (106), Kirsten Miller (108) and Carly Holcomb (132).
Olivet participated in the Division 4 reigional hosted by Kalamazoo Christian at Eastern Hills. The Eagles tied for eighth place with a team score of 412, led by Jasmine Gingrich (94), Logan McLane (98), Maddey Kidder (109) and Emily McAdam (111).
The boys’ tennis state tournament begins with the regional round Thursday.
In Division 2 at Portage Northern, Battle Creek Central and Lakeview will compete along with fellow local Gull Lake.
At the Division 3 regional at Sturgis will be Harper Creek and Pennfield along with area schools Coldwater and Marshall.
Competing at Friday’s Division 4 regional at Battle Creek Central will be local schools Bronson and Galesburg-Augusta.
As the fall season nears the final stretch, several area teams have been recognized among the best in the state in their respective sports.
• Volleyball: Harper Creek is No. 8, Marshall is honorable mention in Class C; Bronson is No. 1, Delton Kellogg is honorable mention in Class C; St. Philip is No. 1 in Class D.
• Boys’ soccer : Coldwater is No. 11, Marshall is No. 20 in Division 2.
• Boys’ tennis : Coldwater is No. 5 in Division 3.
• Girls’ swimming & diving : Harper Creek is honorable mention in Division 3.
• Boys’ cross country: Coldwater is No. 6, Gull Lake is No. 9 in Division 2.
• Girls’ cross country: Lakeview is honorable mention in Division 1; Gull Lake is honorable mention in Division 2; St. Philip is No. 8 in Division 4.
Nick Buckley can be reached at [email protected] or 269-966-0652. Follow him on Twitter:@NickJBuckley