Former president says he only started using a mobile phone in April 2009, almost two years after Benazir was killed
Refuting American journalist Mark Siegel’s testimony in the Benazir Bhutto murder case, Pervez Musharraf said on Friday that he never spoke or made any menacing calls to Benazir Bhutto before her arrival in Pakistan, Express News reported.
The former president said that he could “clearly see the conspiracy” behind the accusations, adding that he started using a mobile phone in April 2009, almost two years after Benazir was killed.
Musharraf also questioned whether Farooq Naek, former president Asif Ali Zardari close confidante, was fit to represent Siegel in court, while demanding that Zardari also be summoned in the case.
Talking to Express News, Musharraf said he regretted the ‘false’ accusations made the American journalist.
Read: ‘Gen Musharraf made menacing calls to BB’
On October 1, Siegel said in his testimony that days before she travelled to Pakistan, slain prime minister Benazir Bhutto received threatening phone calls from the then president Pervez Musharraf, warning her of threats to her life should she choose to return before the 2007 elections.
Siegel recorded his statement before Justice Rai Muhammad Ayub of the special anti-terrorism court of Rawalpindi in the Benazir murder case via video link from the Pakistan Embassy in Washington on Thursday. Previously, Siegel had refused to come to Pakistan to testify before the court.