SPENCER COUNTY (6-0) AT NORTH OLDHAM (3-3)
Bears won last year’s meeting, 21-13
* Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. Friday.
* Spencer County scored three touchdowns in an 87-second span of the fourth quarter to rally for a 35-14 victory over Collins last week, extending the best start in program history. The Bears are averaging a state-best 470.5 rushing yards per game and rank second in the state behind Male in scoring (49.3 points per game). Senior Logan Holbrook and sophomore Kadin Smith are tied for the team lead with 16 touchdowns apiece.
* North Oldham snapped a three-game skid last week with a 47-6 rout at Frankfort. The Mustangs continued to spread the ball around, with nine players getting at least one rushing attempt. Senior fullback Wes Johnson led the way with 78 yards and two touchdowns on six carries. Coach Billy Martin said his team’s overall health is improving, but senior running back Justin Yurt (torn anterior cruciate ligament) and sophomore tight end/linebacker Josh Pitchford (broken hip) are out for the season.
* Quotable: “We’ve had a lot of starters out, but there’s no need to cry about it,” Martin said. “It’s part of football. We were lucky last year that we didn’t have a lot of injuries. We got some guys back last week and had 40 points at halftime and looked like the old Mustangs.”
* The pick: Spencer County 34-27.