Home > Iran nearly doubles its Hajj stampede death toll to 464

Iran nearly doubles its Hajj stampede death toll to 464

Irania­n red cresce­nt offici­al said that those missin­g were all likely to have died



TEHRAN: Iran on Thursday nearly doubled its death toll from last week’s Hajj stampede to 464, saying there was no hope of finding pilgrims missing after the tragedy.

“Seven days after this tragic accident… the status of all (pilgrims) injured has been completely cleared and reported,” Iran’s Hajj organisation said in a statement carried by state television.

Read: Iran protests Saudi delay in repatriating hajj dead

Around 240 Iranians were previously declared dead after last Thursday’s crush near Makkah, with more than 200 classified as missing.

An Iranian red crescent official said on Thursday that those missing were all likely to have died.

“We are completely disappointed from finding unknown and missing Iranians,” said Ali Marashi, the head of Hajj red crescent medical centre, state media reported.

Saudi and Iranian health ministers agreed after days of fierce debate to repatriate Iranian pilgrims killed in the stampede.

Read: Iran leader threatens ‘fierce’ reaction if Saudi does not return Hajj dead

Iran’s IRNA news agency quoted Iranian Health Minister Hassan Hashemi as saying that he and his Saudi counterpart Khaled al Falih had struck a deal aimed at “speeding up the process, as the victims’ families are waiting” back at home.

“Iran would be the first country to receive bodies and repatriate them,” Hashemi said.

Those unidentified bodies who are clearly Iranian would be repatriated first and identified at home, he added.

About Amin Khan

Amin Khan is a web developer, SEO expert, Online Mentor & marketer working from last 4 years on the internet and managing several successful websites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *